Saturday, March 3, 2012

Hunters, Dragons, and Pride

Hey, I'm back for today although I nearly forgot all about the promise I made yesterday. But don't fret. Here I am, and I have some fun stories for you today. All of the stories I have to offer you now were published in Ray Gun Revival in the last month or so. Those stories are Evan Dicken's What Price for Pride?, Tim Sevenhuysen's We Dragons, and Mark Bilsborough's Hunter. Be sure to check them out. All of them are pretty short stories and rather fun and interesting.

What Price for Pride? by Evan Dicken

What happens in the future after we have met alien races? Well, there is no doubt that we will probably fight with them. However, some may have better technology than us and not be as merciful as we may be. This story begins with a supreme chancellor requesting help from one of the most ancient alien races they have encountered in battle against another race. However, nothing he presents seems to impress the representative. He ends up battling with a question poised to him by a friend: is the human race really all that exceptional? Are we really that grand in the scheme of things?

I don't plan on giving away the answer here. Dicken offers an interesting insight. Be sure to read it and ponder over the question yourself for a little while.

We Dragons by Tim Sevenhuysen

We haven't done this yet, but I have a feeling that it will inevitably happen in our future. You're probably wondering what I'm talking about. What is it then? Exploring new worlds. Yes, we've sent probes to Mars, but it just isn't really exploring in my book until you've actually sent someone there. In this story, two men have set out to explore a new world with oxygen levels just under that of Earth. They end up finding sentient life. However, they somehow anger the planet's inhabitants and have to flee for their lives.

Again, I don't want to ruin the whole premise for you, so I'll try to leave this a little vague so you are forced to go and read this story.

Hunter by Mark Bilsborough

Our last story here feels kind of like a noir classic, starring a morally ambiguous protagonist who, along with his armed to the teeth partner, chase down a drug lord. There isn't too much else to say about this one. It was a pretty fun read over all though. Go and check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment