Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Buyers and Sellers in Space, Part 2

Hey, sorry I forgot to leave a post here last night. I know I promised, but the day kind of got away from me. Let's see. Where were we now? The last time we were here, I was going on about The Space Merchants by Frederik Pohl and Cyril M. Kornbluth. I think I left off at the point where the action began in the book. That would be the assassination attempts on Mitch Courtenay's life. From there, it's a pretty fun read. But first, I think a little primer might be of service.



Like I said before, corporations have taken control of the government in The Space Merchants. In most stories where something like this happens, the world kind of begins to turn sour. And so it is with this book. To counter this capitalist craze, a group has risen who many call the Consies (short for Conservationists). This group is worried about the way that corporations are factory farming and otherwise destroying the Earth. They work in cells and kind of act like terrorists. The Consies play a huge role in the book.

I think I'll leave it there for now. Otherwise I feel like I'd just spoil the story for you. You have your jumpstart on this book now, so get reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment