Monday, May 23, 2011

Roger's Box

Here is a little story from today's writing prompt over at Creative Copy Challenge. I think you guys should know the rules by now. Words in bold are the words of the day.


No matter how hard Roger tried, he could claw the box open. Something wouldn’t let him do it. He’d seen it open before. But he didn’t have such luck. No, he would have to be patient and wait for the right person to do it.
He returned to his square, and sure enough, Katie was standing right there.

“Where the hell have you been?” she yelped at him.

“Just out, having a little smoke break,” sniffled Roger. He was never the type who fared well with confrontation.

“Well, hurry up then. Change your clothes. You can’t wear those random ragtags at the meeting,” said Katie as she pulled at his shirt.
“Can’t I have a little to eat first? Smoking always makes me hungry.”

“Sure, but here’s a little tip: Eat fast. We have a deadline to meet. And you are just wasting time. Come on.” Katie was getting a little impatient.

“Look, you only have to ask me once to hurry up and I’ll do it. Quit pressuring me and I’ll go faster,” Roger quipped, trying to sound more defiant.

“Roger, I don’t want to upset you, but you need me here to rush you. Now come on, come on. Let’s go.” Now she was getting irritated, and Roger could see it in her face. He started to pace himself a little faster.
Then he heard a noise from the storage closet, and he thought about the box. Maybe it opened itself…

No comments:

Post a Comment