Saturday, June 25, 2011

Roger's Box, Episode 7

(Still trying to catch up on with the prompts over at Creative Copy Challenge. Here's a little bit for last Thursday's prompt. Katie gets her drink, and Roger tells more about the box. Hope you guys enjoy!)








"Ok, that really hit the spot," Katie said after taking a large gulp of some scotch Roger found for her when they got back to the ballroom. She took another large gulp to finish off the glass. Some ice flew out and the glass nearly broke when she slammed it down on the table. "Oh boy. I think I'm ready for you to tell me more about this box."
"Have I told you what the voice sounds like?" Roger asked.
"No, not yet."
"It has the voice of a little girl. This is the reason I want to believe it. Anything that sounds so innocent as a little girl must be telling the truth."
Katie raised her eyebrows. "You believe it just because it sounds like a little girl? You don't know what it is or where it comes from, but you believe the voice of a little girl?"
Roger shrugged his shoulders. "Why not?"
Katie almost said something, but a colleague interrupted her.
"Have you guys heard about the seminar next week? I hear Don Hubbard is going to be giving a presentation on time management. You guys should come. It's going to be stellar."
"Rick, this isn't really good time. We're discussing the resources we need for Roger's side project. It's a very important conversation. Can you just send me an e-mail instead?"
Rick said he could and walked away. When he was out of earshot, Roger continued, "And it really isn't just about the girl's voice. There's also something about the box's timeliness."
"What do you mean?" Katie asked.
"It came into my life when I was beginning to care less and less about everything. I didn't care about myself. Maybe you noticed I had started coming into work later and later." Katie nodded. "I was turning feral, and the box saved me from myself. It started asking me to do random things. Like feng shui in the house. Did you know I have a little forest of eucalyptus trees in my bedroom now? It doesn't make any sense, but I feel a lot better. I don't know if it's from the feng shui or from the box treating my like a hobby horse, but something worked in bringing me back from the brink.

No comments:

Post a Comment