Tuesday, October 25, 2011

[WoD] Punish Yourself

A week from today is November 1st. That's the beginning of NaNoWriMo. It's just a week away! We need to start conditioning ourselves if we think we're going to be in any shape for writing that much each day for a whole month. So let's talk about some punishments today. (Rewards come tomorrow).


It's time to start making some rules and sticking to them. Here's one that I want to start enforcing on myself: if I write less than 1600 words in any day, I won't let myself watch any television the following week or until I'm back above my quota.


The key here is that you have to do this for yourself. Set up some of your own goals and punishments. No rewards yet. Just punishments. Try to set a daily goal/punishment, a weekly goal/punishment, and a goal/punishment for the month to keep you going. Here's a simple template if you need a little push:
If I do less that than __(number of words)__ in __(time period)__ then __(punishment)__. 
Remember, you'll have to really discipline yourself to make this work. Or if you're feeling feeble in the willpower department, try to find someone to help you, so if they see you doing that thing you shouldn't be doing, they can yell at you and give you that extra push you need. Try to be creative. You only have to do this for a month. And come back tomorrow to get some ideas about rewards!

No comments:

Post a Comment