Saturday, November 5, 2011

[WoD] Stop Researching and Write Already

Saturday has come and it is now nearly gone. By today, we should have around 8,333 words done and and down. I certainly hope you guys are doing better than me. I'm only at 3,100 right now. I need to start kicking my butt and getting some work done. Which leads me to today's advice.

Stop researching and start writing already! Don't worry about the facts. We're writing fiction. Get the story out of the way for now. NaNoWriMo limits the time you have to get all your words in. You can come back and fact check later. There's plenty of time for that after the month.

Right now, what you need to do, is start putting in some sort of keyword in the areas you want to do some research for when you search for it later later. And put the keyword(s) up at top as a reminder so you know what to look for when researching and editing.

But it's not time for editing now. Now, we need to guess and make assumptions. There's nothing wrong about making assumptions now. Yes, I've heard people say people say, "You know what they say about assuming: it makes an ass out of you and me." But that's when you make assumptions about people. It's perfectly fine to make them when writing fiction.

So, for now, stop researching. Or only do it when you have spare time, or when you'r done for the day. Scratch the middle part: only when you are done for the day. Researching is a way of procrastination sometimes, at least it is for me. Let's just get our work done and out of the way for the day and then we can do our research and editing. But until then, let's keep forging ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment